Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A series of reactionary essays written shortly after 9-11, Barbara Kingsolver´s ´Small Wonder´is full of passionate reflections about the world, the environment, and peace. The fire within me burns more strongly these days, inflamed by this book as well as the events unfolding around me. Some of these things are beyond control - the ongoing fighting in the Middle East, the daily realization of a world of inevitable inequalities. Others, such as the local fight in my site between a few locals and the owners of the nearby resort, are becoming more within reach as I learn about the area and the people involved. I have to keep reminding those around me that I am not here to fight, but to establish good working relationships, to be diplomatic, and to encourage communication between the community, local agencies, and other outside groups such as the owners of the resort. This is my goal for the next two years, and with a firey spirit, I prepare myself to entire the lucha for peace.